Each Contestant must submit an entry form, questionnaire and a photograph. All forms and photos must be postmarked by September 11th or emailed by September 11, 2017
Download Audition Package
Calvert County Fair Idol Contest
P.O. Box 224
Barstow, MD 20610
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This contest is for single vocalists only.
- Each contestant may enter only once.
- Auditions will be sung in acapella.
Any question please contact:
Calvert County Fair Board @ 410-535-0026 or Entertainment Committee Chair @ 410-610-3921
- This contest is open to all amateur (contestant does not perform professionally for a living) entertainers between the ages of 14-29 years old. Proof of age will be required at audition.
- Professional (contracted musicians or those whose talent is a principle source of income) are not permitted to enter.
- Entrants have to live in one of the five, Southern Maryland Counties; Calvert, Anne Arundel, Charles, St. Mary’s, or Prince George’s
- Members of the Calvert County Fair Board are not permitted to enter.
- All photographs will become the property of the Calvert County Fair and may be published in future Fair books.
The contest consists of five parts: Auditions, Practice, Idol Showcase, Semi-finals and Finals.
Auditions: *(September 19th & 20th at 6pm; Dates, and Time subject to change)
- Registration starts at 6:00 pm at the Main Building at the Calvert County Fair Grounds.
- Auditions will be performed in front of a group of judges selected by the Calvert County Fair.
- All performances will be done with the contestant and judges’ in the room only, no friends and/or family.
- All lyrics must be memorized-no props, prompters or note cards may be used.
- Acts may NOT accompany themselves with an acoustic guitar, piano or electric instruments.
- Time limit is 2 minutes.
“Practice”: *(September 26th at 6pm; Date, and Time subject to change)
- All Contestants will check their summited music, make sure all are ready for competition, and practice at least one of their songs, all the way through.
“Idol Showcase”: *(September 27th at 7pm; Date, and Time subject to change)
- All Contestants will sing a song as a preview to the community and give the contestants the chance to get comfortable on stage prior to Semi-Finals.
“Semi-finals”: *(September 28th & 29th at 7pm; Date, and Time subject to change)
- All Contestants will sing two songs, one on Thursday and one on Friday. After the second song is sung the totals from the two nights will be totaled together and the contestants will be narrowed down to a “Top 6”. The six Contestants will perform in the finals on Saturday, October 1st at 7pm.
“Finals”: *(September 30th at 7pm; Date, and Time subject to change)
- At the finals on Saturday September 30th, The Top 6 will sing two songs (their final genre song and a song of their choice) the totals from the two songs will be totaled and 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place will be announced. Results are final.
- All Contestants MUST be on time or you will be penalized or eliminated
- Finalist must be available from Tuesday thru Saturday, in the evenings, of the Official Fair Week
- Finalists are to be checked-in 30 minutes prior to start time each night.
- The Top 12 Contestants who are selected to perform in the, “Idol Showcase” will receive entry into the fair on the dates of the contests for free. Parking is free.
- There will be no dressing rooms available.
Personal outfit or clothing:
- The Calvert County Fair is a family event. Any profanity or sexually suggestive material on clothing will not be allowed. Inappropriate attire or song lyrics will not be allowed. Judges will have the right to disqualify any Contestant.
- Judge’s decisions are final.
- Scores may or may not be released to the contestant.
- Contestants will be judged on:
- Strength in high and low register
- Holding note when necessary
- Stage Presence
- Eye contact
- Facial Expressions
- Body Language
- Connection with audience
- No jeans, work boots or sports wear
- Entertainment Value
- Song choice in relation to contestant’s voice
- Memory of words/melody
- Interpretation of music
- Overall Impression
- Is this person an opening act?
Auditions are song of your choice. The 12 “Idol Showcase” Contestants will be given three song genres to choose songs from. Top 6 will perform their final genre song and will sing a song of their choice. The Fair will provide the sound system for Top 12 and on. All contestants will use the sound system provided.
Recorded accompaniment for Finalists:
- Vocalists may use recorded accompaniment, provided it contains instrumental accompaniments ONLY; some background singing may be allowed on the recording but will be at the discretion of the judges.
- Only a flash drive will be used. Your name and song selections must accompany the flash drive and track numbers must be clearly identified.
- If you are not able to bring your own music, the Entertainment Committee will try to provide you with available instrumentals that you may use.
- First place: $1000
- Second place: $500
- Third place: $300
There is no music contract. This is strictly a Calvert County Fair talent contest.
Download Audition Package